I'm writing to you from Southwest Virginia, where I'm currently trapped in a snow globe--I mean, uh, snowstorm. And not really trapped, since the weather has been so mild and thus, the ground was fairly warm. So, from the sort-of winter wonderland, here's my check-in for the week.
Spent most of the week writing and combing through Chapter 2 and part of Chapter 3 of Made of Shadows. My initial rewrite of the "meet cute" for Zoe and Blake posed some problems (i.e., messed up the following parts of the plot, which were actually working just fine). Thanks to some stewing today, I've located the problem. Then I'm off!
I've been reading some of the 43 Light Street books by Rebecca York. I saw her speak at a Virginia Romance Writers meeting last year and learned a lot from her talk. Her books are really addictive and her plots are very character driven, so I've been reading some of her work (currently, Guarding Grace) to study how she allows the suspense element of the plot to drive the story forward, while providing plenty of space for romance. This approach actually helped me find the flaw in my meet-cute scene because I realized that's not how a given character would react to a particular development.
My ROW80 goals:
- I revised Chapter 2 and part of Chapter 3. I revised Chapter 2 a few times and am proud to have worked the kinks out before I move forward.
- I'm spending more time on Twitter, taking breaks in the morning at work and before I write in the afternoon, but I haven't carved out a space for Facebook check-ins yet.
- Read a lot of awesome blogs this week, but always on the run, so I haven't started doing regular "mash-ups of awesomeness" yet.
- Need to work on bio critiques for my Team WANA1011 peeps and immerse myself in a few manuscripts I need to critique as well.
I am still looking for a place of balance, where day job, writing, social media, household management, relationships, social life, exercise/nutrition can all coexist. Looking at that list, LOL, it doesn't look good. By year's end, I plan to have not one but two manuscripts ready for query. I will get there. Whether I'll find a sense of calm within the chaos...well, that remains to be seen. :)
Since tomorrow is President's Day, I'm hoping to spend the day at home, doing a few random things for day job and plunging into Made of Shadows. We'll see if my boss forces me to clean the snow off my car tomorrow.
How are your writing goals going?
- Current Mood: indescribable